Where's Your Hidden Blessing?

|
I was watching Dancing with the Stars tonight with my husband and daughter. This was the first time I had tuned in this season, but I was blessed by a certain dancer on the show and his testimony. Jr Martinez has such an amazing testimony and I encourage you all to read about this young man. There is that cliche saying we hear all too often, that God works in mysterious ways. In this case, I truly believe that JR Martinez received a blessing in disguise.

Martinez is such an inspiration to me. As I was learning about his life, I found that he faced some struggles in his life but kept getting up and pushing forward. He moved to Georgia his senior year of high school. JR was a member of the Dalton High School, 2001 State Champion football team. He had dreamed of playing in the NFL but his athletic career was ended prematurely by a sports injury his senior year. He could have stopped here, I have known of many that have. They hit opposition, give up and waste their talents, but not JR.

Martinez pressed forward and enter lent the United States Army his athletic talents and was sent to Iraq. While in Iraq, his Humvee hit a land mine, that ejected three of his fellow soldiers and trapped JR in the vehicle where he suffered burns over 40% of his entire body. This was another wall that could have stopped JR. How many soldiers do we see today, that suffer injury, loss of limbs, burns etc. and give up. Lose their will to live, become depressed and are never the same. Not JR, a nurse taking care of JR solicited him to speak to a fellow burn unit soldier, who had seen his body for the first time since his accident and was far from optimistic. Jr himself suffered 34 months in hospitals around the world, and endured 33 surgeries to repair his body.

All in all this man has faced multiple "landmines" in his lifetime and walked away from them all, each one with more success and the drive to achieve more. This accident took an average man and turned him into a highly sought after motivational speaker, Emmy award winning actor, and now celebrity dancing star.

This is a lesson all of us should take to heart. We have daily struggles that make us want to take a time out, give up, walk away. I recall when we brought my daughter home from the hospital for the first time there was a night where I cried all night. I was frustrated because we were struggling with breast feeding, baby threw up all over me, her and the bed and I had to change us all at 3 a.m. Shortly after we were changed, dry and back in bed my daughter's diaper leaked and we were on round two of changes. Just after I got her back in bed, she decided to give me a dirty diaper present that not only filled her diaper but was all over her clothes. So now 4:30 a.m. rolled around, we're taking our second bath our third change of clothes and I had such a negative outlook on it. But when I look at this young man and his triumphs and then remember back to some of my overwhelming moments I'm so convicted. Praise God to be lucky enough to be alive to take care of 4:30 a.m. dirty diapers. Not only does JR Martinez take every roadblock with endurance, strength, and optimism but look at how God has blessed his life despite of the negative things he has experienced. JR. Martinez is such an inspiration for anyone experiencing struggle in life, but let the glory be to God for the blessings and success that has come to JR in the midst of his opposition.

Scriptures to encourage yourself with when opposition is knocking at your door.

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.  He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. Psalms 62:1-2
The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid? -Psalms 27:1

I encourage you all to search your life and share with us where you have had a hidden blessing from God.
Be merciful to me, O God, for men hotly pursue me; all day long they press their attack.  My slanderers pursue me all day long; many are attacking me in their pride.  When I am afraid, I will trust in you.  In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?  All day long they twist my words; they are always plotting to harm me.  They conspire, they lurk, they watch my steps, eager to take my life.  On no account let them escape; in your anger, O God, bring down the nations.  Record my lament; list my tears on your scroll-- are they not in your record?  Then my enemies will turn back when I call for help. By this I will know that God is for me. \ In God, whose word I praise, in the LORD, whose word I praise-- in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?  I am under vows to you, O God; I will present my thank offerings to you.  For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.-Psalms 56

0 comments:

Post a Comment